Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Would you like to touch my whale?


And no, that's not a euphemism for something dirty.

If you happen to have 200 extra bucks lying around, Chicago's Shedd Aquarium now offers visitors the opportunity to touch a beluga whale. Pretty exciting, even if it does cost a small fortune. Included in the $200 price tag is an orientation on animal care, a private meeting with the whale, some touchy time, and maybe a tongue scratching or the chance to hear the whale's heartbeat. At the end of the experience you get a souvenir photo with your new friend. And the chance to tell people that you TOUCHED A WHALE! Aaaaagh!

I think this is a really cool idea, but I wonder if it stresses out the whales? I don't know much about the temperament of belugas, but I can imagine that it might be confusing and stressful to have strangers grabbing at you two days a week (the face-to-face interaction is only available on Fridays and Saturdays). Then again, maybe it's nice to have some new company after seeing the same trainers day in and day out. Who knows?

Anyway, this is a pretty unique attraction and thought I'd share!

No comments:

Post a Comment